What to do with a California Labor Board judgment?

What to do with a California Labor Board judgment?

Upon award of your judgment, the California Labor Board automatically confers with the civil court system to enter a judgment against the employer. Your attorney will review the judgment and advise you on the best options for collecting from the business. File a lien against the bank account of the business.

What happens when you go to the Labor Board?

The Labor Board will review your claim, conduct an investigation, hold a hearing if necessary and make a final determination. When awarded a judgment, you yourself can attempt to collect the amount owed, or you can assign the collection of the judgment to the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.

What happens at a Labor Commissioner’s hearing?

If the employee has sufficiently established a case, the matter will proceed to the more formal hearing. If the employee doesn’t show up, the claim will be dismissed unless the employee has a good reason for missing the meeting.

How to collect a judgment from the Department of Labor?

Inform the Department of Labor that you want to assign the judgment to it to collect. The Department of Labor will follow the same procedures previously outlined and collect the judgment on your behalf. File a satisfaction of judgment with the court awarding you the judgment, once you collect all compensation owed by the employer.

How to prepare for a Labor Commissioner hearing?

And a deputy labor commissioner will hold an administrative hearing to decide whether an employee is owed compensation. Here are some best practices for employers to keep in mind as they prepare for a hearing. 1. Understand the Process The DLSE enforces California’s labor laws and wage orders.

When does the Labor Commissioner make a decision?

The hearing officer will make a decision 15 days after the hearing. That decision, known as an Order, Decision or Award (ODA), is filed with the Labor Commissioner’s Office and then mailed to both you and your employer.

How are unemployment compensation hearings conducted in Connecticut?

The vast majority of unemployment compensation hearings in Connecticut are conducted in person. However, where a claimant has established a claim by virtue of employment in Connecticut but has moved to another state, any appeal hearing resulting from that claim is conducted telephonically for both the claimant and employer.

Where can I go for an unemployment hearing?

Therefore, it is preferable that you are in a stationary location during the hearing. If you do not have a telephone with which to participate in the hearing, contact your local unemployment compensation office or American Job Center to arrange for the use of a telephone at that location.