What do you do if you think an employee is stealing?
What should you do if you suspect an employee of theft?
- Ask the employee to explain.
- Ask the employee to take a polygraph test.
- Decide whether to: press criminal charges. seek restitution. discipline the employee. fire the employee.
What to do when an employee steals money?
It can be as simple as a clerk at a store stealing from the cash register or taking money from customers and voiding the sale, to a more complicated theft such as employees falsifying their expense accounts or writing phony checks. Keep these six action steps on hand with by downloading this free cheat sheet.
Is it illegal for an employee to steal company documents?
This reality provides Companies with a cautionary message: don’t accept the theft of Company documents in violation of Company policies and agreements but tailor your approach to fit the employee’s specific claims and your jurisdiction’s discovery self-help laws.
Can a company prove that an employee stole something?
It is advisable to formulate the allegation as ‘being in possession of company property without authorisation’ as it is in certain circumstances difficult to prove that the employee has stolen something with the intention to deprive the employer thereof.
How is employee theft a problem in America?
As we discussed in last month’s blog, employee theft is a huge problem. It can be as simple as a clerk at a store stealing from the cash register or taking money from customers and voiding the sale, to a more complicated theft such as employees falsifying their expense accounts or writing phony checks.
What to do if you get caught stealing at work?
Damage control Consult an attorney. Before you sign anything, you should seek legal advice. Review your employee handbook. Make sure you read through your company’s employee handbook, where you will find information on theft, misconduct and the relevant disciplinary procedures. Talk to your manager. Admit to theft.
What is employer wage theft?
Wage theft is the denial of wages or employee benefits rightfully owed to an employee. It can be conducted by employers in various ways, among them failing to pay overtime; violating minimum-wage laws; the misclassification of employees as independent contractors, illegal deductions in pay; forcing employees to work “off…
How do employees steal?
- Phony Vendor Accounts Set Up By Employees. This is one of the most common ways for employees to steal by setting up phony accounts to create fake invoices.
- Theft of Checks. It is common for employees to check from the company checkbook and then either deposit or cash it.
- Stealing Directly from the Cash Register. This is mostly done when the employee accepts a cash payment at the cash register who can balance the drawer later by voiding the
What is stealing time at work?
Stealing time involves employees misrepresenting how much time they’ve worked in order to fool an employer. The devious practice amounts to stealing, and employees typically should be fired for such unethical behavior.